Wednesday 8 June 2011

FLIGHT TO LIMA - PERU

2nd Jun 2011
As expected my stress levels were seriously raised due to suffering air transport from Panama to Lima. A bandit taxi price to the airport got things off to a bad start. Then at check-in my bag was found to be 4kg overweight. After tediously unpacking and stuffing the extra ( no liquids or sharp objects of course ) into a plastic ´carry-on' bag, all was deemed OK ( the same weight went onto the aircraft you realise ). Should thin people get an extra baggage allowance and fat people less? Why not?
Then the odious OTT security checks. I am always irritated at being told to take my shoes off. I can't think why the blasted x-ray machines can`t be set up see into shoes like everything else. I suspect it is done just for effect. The swivel-eyed low-life lunatics, with criminal histories as long as your arm, who were responsible for causing this ongoing worldwide paranoia, should never in a month of Sundays have been allowed to walk the streets let alone board an aircraft if even basic security checks had been carried out. One would have thought their appearance alone should have alerted even the dimmest bimbette at check-in. And if they are so concerned about potential exploding shoes ( which didn`t anyway ), what about the incompetent weirdo who only managed to burn his bollocks with his failed so-called 'exploding underpants'? A sort of Norman Wisdom baddy if ever there was one. If that is the level of expertise achieved by highly trained Al Quaeda operatives we shouldn't have too much to worry about. Laugh about, more like. Al Jolson sounds more frightening. I`m surprised we are not now forced to take our knickers off as well! Why not?
I do find it pathetic that the public are so cowed by fear and sheep-like in accepting, without a whimper or question, these and many other knuckle-headed procedures forced on them by the timid 'authorities'. I think many people would happily stand on one leg and whistle the Halleluja Chorus if some oafish jobsworth told them it was 'in the interest of their safety and security'! I am utterly convinced that security could be much better achieved and cause less irritation if more subtle, covert and intelligent methods were used.
On top of this COPA Airlines flight 475 was delayed an hour for no specified reason. The flight itself was fine.
On arrival I found that my bag ( at least it arrived ) which has three zips, each protected by a small padlock, had been broken into, possibly to be searched somewhere 'in the interests of my safety and security'. Two padlocks were missing and the third was twisted, but that zip had been forced open and broken! Nothing appeared to be missing but I was bloody cross, and late. Complaining loudly in English to some poor innocent member of the airport staff would not have achieved much, so I didn't. Of course you will never find anyone who accepts responsibility for anything at airports. The bosses hide from the passengers, especially irate passengers.
I now clearly remember why I promised not ( unless in emergency ) to travel by air. It's rarely the flight which causes a problem, it's the time consuming bloody-minded procedures and hassle at each end which drive me so MAD.
Phew! Glad I got that off my chest. It was a relief to be met at the airport by my old mate Pepe, an ex-colleague, taken to his house and shown generous hospitality, plus a large drink.
More to follow from Peru..............when I'm in better humour.
....And as someone has kindly pointed out I have the pleasure of a return flight to Panama.

1 comment:

  1. I guess you will have to fly back to Panama ! oh dear,anyway enjoy Lima .
    Best wishes , Tim

    ReplyDelete