Saturday 12 November 2011

SINGAPORE 1

7th - 10th Nov 2011

Singapore Marina Bay.

Getting out of the docks at Singapore was quite a struggle with all my bags being searched and several passport checks. Can't think why all the hassle as it is normally a formality walking out of a port. I suppose the Singaporeans are concerned about 'things' being smuggled in, or maybe I have started to look guilty. I told them "I've drunk it all, and nothing sharp to declare". They were quite good humoured about it.
Back to civilisation here where, most noticeably, fast broadband internet services are provided just about everywhere free of charge, in marked contrast to NZ and Oz where you are charged just about everywhere between $4 - $6 per hour! A complete rip-off. Some telecom organisation in that part of the world must have a monopoly and is skinning people alive. In most of the far east, much to the advantage of business and private individuals, internet/wifi connection in most hotels and cafes is as automatically and freely available as tap-water and air.


Taxi up to Seletar Hills on the north-east side of the island where I was to be most generously put up by friends David and Louise in their luxurious pad. The taxi drivers in Singapore appear highly efficient and relatively cost effective; certainly cheaper than many places and they really do know where they are going. Left: This is Louise hosing down the dog. David had gone running/drinking with the 'Hash' with which many of you may be familiar. He asked me if I had brought my running kit with me.............!!!???!!!






We went for a walk around some of McRitchie Park. Most pleasant bit of greenery and several monkeys swinging through the trees. They seemed to enjoy teasing the poor dog. I was told when they want to really annoy you they pee on you from up aloft. They must be protected by law.








I spent most of the next day shopping to replen for the onward journeys. Some clothes needed replacing. This is not the first time I have been to Singapore and I was pleasantly reminded of how efficient and comparatively cheap are the city public transport systems. Dropped in out of curiosity at a museum at the Marina Bay where they had a Salvadore Dali exhibition on one level and a Titanic display on another. Photography was prohibited at the Titanic one. So here are some, of many, taken of Mr Dali's efforts.....




.....which were interspersed with sensible comments such as this ( right ). I entirely agree with him.
I hadn't realised that the Titanic had 3 propellers, the main centre one being powered by steam turbine.
I doubt if S Dali Esq. contributed much to the interior design of the Titanic. He might have had something to do with the iceberg I suppose.








.....and loads of large 'works of art' with plenty of melting clocks, drawers, slugs, faceless women, weird and rather rude pictures, and other things which took his fancy. The Titanic exhibition, featuring lots of artefacts recovered from the wreck plus some very realistic 'tableaux' including the 'grand staircase' and palm court orchestra music, was much more to my liking, but no photos because I, unlike some Japanese tourists, was feeling particularly law abiding on this occasion.



I went that night as a guest of David and Louise to a book launch! Never been to one of those before. The book in question was about cooking and Feng Shui; not subjects about which I can boast a huge knowledge. We then went for a magnificent dinner at the elegant Tanglin Club ( another hang-over from the British days ). Best nosh for months.
Period here spent happily idling about and re-grouping. However I am off next, by train, to Kuala Lumpur and stations north on a bit of a pilgrimage to visit some sites connected to my old Regiment, the 15/19 Hussars.

No comments:

Post a Comment